Winter Sport Insurance

We require all of our customers to have a suitable and appropriate wintersports insurance policy in place before they travel to their destination. Over the past few years ABTA have partnered with the Foreign Office to spread the message far and wide and highlight the realities if something goes wrong whilst you’re away and you don’t have insurance in place.

Whilst you hopefully won’t have to make a claim, travel insurance is there to protect you in the event that something goes wrong – it will protect you from medical costs should you need to visit a doctor or receive treatment. It also covers holiday horrors from stolen bags to stomach upsets. Every year ABTA and the Foreign Office see cases where holidaymakers, or their relatives, have suffered substantial medical expenses due to the costs of travelling uninsured. Even worse, some hospitals may refuse to treat you if you have neither holiday insurance nor sufficient funds to cover your treatment.

You may think you are covered by other forms of protection including European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) and your credit card, but we believe that only stand-alone wintersports insurance offers you the protection that you need to cover the wide range of problems that you may meet overseas.


A valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card) currently covers necessary medical treatment in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland – you are entitled to the same medical treatment as residents of that country. It is a requirement for many travel insurance policies, and your policy may be invalidated if you do not travel with a valid EHIC. However, it is NOT a substitute for travel insurance – for example, it won’t cover repatriation, the cost of air ambulances and other associated medical expenses.

You can find out more about what is covered and apply for a new or replacement EHIC Card at

Foreign Office Advice

You can find out more about what advice the Government are giving about the countries that we feature in our ski programme at